Callaway Nuclear Facility
As the General Contractor, we installed the first HDPE safety related system at a nuclear plant in North America.
There were many changes made along the way, but the project was completed in the most efficient, cost effective way possible. Communication was paramount and daily coordination meetings were held to address any concerns and ensure the project ran smoothly. This was a very complex project and we are very proud to have been a part of it. What we are most proud of, however, is that we worked over 150,000 man-hours but experience only 3 first aid cases. At the end of the day, our men and women went home safely.
- Mass excavation of the site uncovered numerous complications
- Negotiated 50’ lengths of pipe weighing over 11,000 lbs
- To meet NRC guidelines a minimum amount of cover must be provided at all times to protect from weather and sabotage, We placed hundreds of sandbags that weigh several thousand pounds each and moved daily to cover the exposed ESW pipe
- Weekly cost updates were provided to Ameren
- In addition to the HDPE Piping we also pre-fabricated and installed the interior stainless steel piping, This piping was fabricated to Ameren’s stringent weld program